WPBTS called for educational institutions to challenge each other and big rivals went head-to-head for the prestigious title of the Biggest Blood Donors! The Battle of the Blood donors took place from 10 April untill 31 May 2018.
The objective of this campaign was to increase new donors and ultimately blood collections. The winners of each challenge was determined by a pro-rata formula looking at the potential eligible donors, number of new donors, attendance and units collected at the blood donation clinic. Using a pro-rata formula made the process fair towards smaller educational institutions.
A trophy was given to each of the winning schools of each round and HTS Drostdy won an extra R1000 voucher towards the school’s educational efforts. In the overall competition Rylands High came in second place, beating Westridge with 28% and Spine Road High came in third place beating Fishhoek High with 3%! The efforts of the schools were remarkable! Members of the public, parents and surrounding schools were invited to come and donate; inter class and grade competitions were held; the schools social media was used; Blood Buddy made his appearance and Rylands High even advertised on the Vocie of the Cape.
Here are the other winners of the competing educationals (Winners are listed in bold red):
- Bellville High VS Stellenberg VS Tygerberg
- Herzlia High VS Camps Bay
- Hoërskool Jan van Riebeeck VS Durbanville
- Plumstead High VS Bergvliet
- Paarl Girls High VS La Rochelle
- Stellenbosch High VS Paul Roos Gimnasium
- Rondebosch Boys’ High VS SACS VS Bishops
- The Settlers High VS Fairmont
- Brackenfell High VS De Kuilen VS Monument Park
- Malibu Secondary VS Bernadino Heights
- Swartland High VS Hugenote High
- Edgemead High VS Milnerton
- UCT Faculty of Health Science VS Tygerberg Medical School
- CPUT Bellville Campus VS CPUT Cape Town Campus
Well done to all the educational institutions for making the Battle of the Blood Donors such a success. We hope you display your trophies with pride and are ready to battle it out in next year’s competition!