by Lise-Mari Badenhorst
Prep: 25 mins | Cook: 35 mins | Serves: 6 people
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- thumb size piece of ginger, grated
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, grated
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 200g green beans, chopped
- 1 medium butternut, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 punnet of mushrooms, halved
- 1 punnet of coriander: ½ for food and ½ for garnish
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 2 cans of lentils
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- 1 cup of water
- 1½ tbsp of mild curry
- 1 tbsp of turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
Optional: 150ml white wine
Fry onion, coriander, carrot and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes.
Add the wine (optional).
Add the curry powder, turmeric, ginger, lemongrass, salt and pepper to taste. Stir for 2 minutes.
Pour in the stock, cup of water and add the butternut. Boil for 10 minutes.
Add the peppers, beans, mushrooms and can of coconut milk. Boil for another 10 minutes.
Add the lentils and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it rest for 3 minutes.
Serve with Basmati rice.
Best served with a glass of chilled Chardonnay or a pineapple and ginger tea.