By Marike Gevers
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook: 20 minutes | Serves: 4
- 500g beef mince
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp chilli powder/flakes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tsp chutney
- 3 tsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 can of tomatoes, chopped and peeled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 tortilla wraps, cut into 16 slices each or 1 bag of nachos
- 3 cups of cheese, grated
- 3 jalapenos (fresh or pickled), chopped finely
- 1 cup of fat-free cottage cheese, smooth
- 1 can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Small can of Old El Paso salsa
- 1 cup of guacamole or 1 avocado, smashed
- 1/2 punnet coriander, finely chopped
Preheat the oven to a 180˚on grill.
Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook garlic and onion until golden brown. Add mince and cook for 5 minutes. Add cumin, coriander, chilli and smoked paprika and stir. Lastly add chutney, sweet chilli sauce, tomato paste and a can of tomatoes. Cook for 15 minutes.
Place tortilla slices on a tray and bake until golden brown. Turn slices at least once, ensure that it doesn’t burn. Remove tortilla slices and place them in an ovenproof dish. Add cheese and grill for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. If you use ready-made nachos, you won’t grill them upfront; you will just add cheese and grill. Once the cheese is melted, cut into squares.
Add jalapenos to cottage cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste to avocado and red kidney beans.
Place tortillas/ nachos on a plate. Top with mince, tomato salsa, guacamole, jalapeno cottage cheese and fresh coriander.